- Have fun!
- Scheduling and running team practice sessions.
- Being prepared and organized during games.
- Working to improve team unity and sportsmanship.
- Ensuring all team members get equal playing time.
- Emphasizing skills development including safety, fair play, and sportsmanship.
- Setting realistic and age-appropriate expectations for team members (and parents!)
- Ensuring proper sideline behavior from team members and parents.
- Ensuring the safety of the team during practice sessions and games.
You'll notice that winning games is not on this list. The concept of winning and losing is an important component of youth sports that can teach kids resiliency. It is important, however, to not let winning and losing be your focus as a coach in recreational sports.