- Have fun!
- Scheduling and running team practice sessions.
- Being prepared and organized during games.
- Working to improve team unity and sportsmanship.
- Ensuring all team members get equal playing time.
- Emphasizing skills development including safety, fair play, and sportsmanship.
- Setting realistic and age-appropriate expectations for team members (and parents!)
- Ensuring proper sideline behavior from team members and parents.
- Ensuring the safety of the team during practice sessions and games.
You'll notice that winning games is not on this list. The concept of winning and losing is an important component of youth sports that can teach kids resiliency. It is important, however, to not let winning and losing be your focus as a coach in recreational sports.
Coach and Volunteer Background Screening
Baltimore County Volunteers- all coaches, managers, trainers complete annually thru screening firm, National Center for Safety Initiatives (NCSI). THIS IS REQUIRED! If unable or unwilling to complete this - please reach out as you will not be able to coach.
1. Go to: https://www.baltimorecountymd.gov/departments/recreation/jobsvolunteers/volunteernow.html
2. Under Step 2, select “online volunteer application”
3. Select “Region 2” and then “LUTHERVILLE-TIMONIUM” and then “Next”
4. Submit completed electronic form; no fee to complete
You can check the link below to see if you are already an approved volunteer. Use Control+F to find your name. You are good one year from your date cleared. If that covers through the end of November 2022 - then there is no need to fill this out again.
LTSC In-House Practice Information
The Fall 2022 Practice days for our in-house program are as follows:
MONDAYS - Boys U7, Boys U8, Boys U14
TUESDAYS - Girls U7, Girls U8, Girls U14
WEDNESDAYS - Boys U10, Boys U12, Boys U18*
THURSDAYS - Girls U10, Girls U12, Girls U18*
* - Boys and Girls U18 subject to change based on registration numbers